As we approach spring, I always get excited about what lies ahead - especially entertaining with friends and family. However, this season, we know the high cost of living is impacting Australian households, and is at risk of putting a damper on what should be an optimistic time of year.
It’s confronting that 2 in 5 of our customers say they are struggling to make ends meet and hence we need to do what we can to ease the strain. In fact (and this might sound strange coming from Woolies) - we actively want you to spend less when you shop with us.
An important part of being Today’s Fresh Food People is helping you spend less on the things you need today, and every day. These are some of the ways you can do just that.
Of course, the best way to Spend Less is when prices come down!
While inflation remains elevated in many areas, there is good news in vegetables with strong supply leading to much lower prices - look no further than our amazing broccoli, cauliflower, gourmet tomatoes and iceberg lettuce. In addition, the berry season is looking very promising with blueberries, raspberries and strawberries all in good supply at great prices.
Our Spring Promotional Program is a great way to Spend Less:
- Prices Dropped for Spring: We are dropping more than 450 prices for spring, including what you need for easy weekday meals, healthy lunchboxes and spring entertaining. Prices Dropped for Spring products can be found here and are available from Wednesday 23 August. Look out for our Leg of Lamb that we have just dropped to $10/kg, the lowest price since 2018, and perfect for a special Sunday roast with those great value seasonal veggies.
- Low Prices on Our Brands: We’ve selected more than 3,000 regularly-bought products for our Low Price program (which is more than ever). More than half of these are our Own Brands, all rigorously benchmarked for quality and price, so you don’t have to compromise.
- Don’t Forget Our Weekly Specials: Every week, we have more than 6,000 products on special, all discounted between 20% and 50%. Check out the catalogue or visit the website or Woolworths app, and for offers especially for you, check your favourites tab in the Everyday Rewards app.
Exciting new ways to help you to Spend Less:
- Planning your shop online really does make it easy to Spend Less: Filter what you need by Lowest Unit Price, keep an eye on your Basket Total as it instantly updates, or find Creative Recipes to use up what you’ve already got in the pantry and fridge.
- Everyday Rewards goes in-store with Member Pricing: As well as earning points as you shop, you can now also access in-store Member Prices. You'll be able to spot these in Woolworths Supermarkets and Metro stores from this week and soon in BIG W. We're starting small but have exciting plans...So if you're not a member, now is the time to join and download the app. Note: You can reactivate an old account through the app too.
- Helping to reduce hunger: with 1 in 5 Australians living with food insecurity, we all need to lean in. Firstly, thank you – our customers have been incredibly generous with donations to our various food charity partners. To build on this, last week we announced that we will donate the equivalent of 13 million meals to partners in Australia and New Zealand including OzHarvest, Foodbank and Fareshare. That’s the same as 35,000 meals a day to people who need them the most.
Finally, please don’t forget our Team - we understand the pressure on household budgets right across the country, which unfortunately has resulted in an increase in conflict towards our store team. More than 180,000 Woolies team members (and growing) across Australia work hard every day to serve their communities. Please be kind to them.
Here’s to having a spring in our collective step.